The Covid-19 global pandemic has caused close to three-quarters of a million death tolls and infected more than 17.5 million people over the world by July 2020. This pandemic does not only create health crisis but also economic and financial turbulences. There are no countries that can escape from these crises even the USA as one of the biggest economy in this planet.
Today, Indonesia is the most suffered countries in ASEAN where the outbreaks have reached more than 108 thousand confirmed cases. Meanwhile the economy is in highly doubt situation. The economic growth was slowdown to 2.97 percent in the first quarter of 2020 and could be negative growth in the next quarter.
The Covid-19 pandemic hits Indonesia economy in supply and demand sides, between real and monetary sectors. Almost all business activities are forced to close or limit their operations. On the other hand, people are had to stay at their home to fight Corona outbreaks. Both affect to dramatically decreasing production and consumption levels including make hundreds of thousands of workers have job losses. This crisis also brings financial market in uncertainty condition.
The turbulences have potential to push more people live below poverty line. The poverty numbers could be raised more than one million. However, how many people will drop to poverty depending on how long Covid-19 pandemic is going to exist.
Indonesia faces dilemma situation amid to safe people health or economic. The question is how can Indonesia survive from economic turbulences during Covid-19 pandemic? It is very difficult to solve these matters. It needs much resources and extraordinary policies.
To discuss and answers this dilemma, The Department of Economics and Development Studies or IESP FEB ULM will present an INTERNATIONAL WEBINAR : HOW CAN INDONESIA SURVIVE FROM ECONOMIC TURBULENCES DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC?
- Date: 4 August 2020
- Time: 14.00 – 16.00 WITA (GMT +8)
Prof. Suahasil Nazara, Ph.D
Vice Minister of Finance, Republic of Indonesia.
- Jayant Menon, Ph.D. (Visiting Senior Fellow, ISEAS, Singapore and former Senior Economist of Asian Development Bank).
- Prof. Muhammad Handry Imansyah, Ph.D (Profesor of Economics at Faculty of Economics and Business, Lambung Mangkurat University and former consultant of Asian Development Bank and Ministry of Finance, Republic of Indonesia.
To register this webinar, please open and fill this electronic form: https://bit.ly/InternationalWebinarIESP.
- This registration is based on first come, first served.
- The webinar will be held through Google Meet
- Email: email@example.com
- Link streaming via youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJTIekyEV7k